AbstractThis thesis examines the implementation and effectiveness of Value Engineering in the United Arab Emirates and is restricted to major building construction projects. The aim of the reasurch is to investigate possible areas of improvement and could potentially enhance the effectiveness of the managent and control of the Value Engineering process, for building construction project in the Unietd Arab Emirates. The objectives of the research is to use the data collected to formulate a model for
improvement of the Value Engineering process used in building construction projects in the United Arab Emirates. Before a model to be formulated, the following hypotheses need to be addressed.
- Value Engineering is currently being effectively implemented
- Value Engineering currently provides tangible and measurable benefits
- Current practices in the application of Value Engineering can be improved
A triangulation approach is employed, with data collected using questionnaires, semi structured interviews and case studies. The data collected was analysed and critically assessed to compare the Value Engineering process conducted in the United Arab Emirates with current best practice and to identify specific area for improvement.
Based on the literature review, it became evident that the following seven (7) key factors raised by the researchers were identified for the potential to effect improvements.
1. Structure and Method of the Value Engineering process.
2. Timing and execution of the Value Engineering and workshop studies.
3. Composition of the Workshop team.
4. Understanding of the Value Engineering process.
5. Value Engineering during the Construction phase.
6. Performance measurement based on costs.
7. The effect of environment and culture on Value Engineering
A model for improving the effectiveness of Value Engineering in the United Arab
Emirates was then developed, validated and refined, based on the responses of seventy
two (72) experienced clients, construction professionals, value engineers, project mangers and contractors. The responses from expatriates and Emirates nationals were also compared and the following recommendations were incorporated in the model.
The identified improvement into the design consultant agreement is to:-
- Include Value Engineering in the overall project programme.
The identified improvement recommendations for the design stages are:-
1. Conduct Value Engineering workshop by the end of the preliminary design stage.
2. Establish involvement of end-user and who has experience in construction from project management consultant or client’s representative.
3. Specific consideration of the culture and environment in the United Arab
4. Develop management awareness and commitment.
5. Implement the new regulations to achieve certification on sustainability
The identified improvement recommendations for the construction stages are:-
1. Conducting Value Engineering review after the award of construction.
2. Monitoring and auditing Value Engineering cost benefits.
3. Controlling variations and change orders.
4. Verifying Value Engineering recommendations adopted are achieved.
5. Cultivate company culture and environment to maximise the benefits of Value
6. Ensure the new regulations to achieve certification on sustainability (Estidama).
|Date of Award||Feb 2013|
|Supervisor||Ren Zhaomin (Supervisor) & Jeffery Jones (Supervisor)|
- United Arab Emirates
- value engineering